Monday, December 5, 2011

My first blog about my internship at Oracle...

While writing this blog I am almost two months doing my internship at Oracle, two months that have flown by so fast that is feels like two days...And you know what they say: when you are having fun, time passes by without you noticing it! And that is exactly how the past months have felt like for me.

This blog is going to be updated every two weeks so before continuing to tell you how life is at Oracle, I am going to briefly introduce myself, and what my responsibility is at Oracle.

My name is Egbert IJsseldijk, yeah I know, impossible to pronounce for non Dutch speakers..Ironically half of my family only speaks Spanish as I was born in Ecuador where my mother is from..lol. Furthermore I love to do some climbing (bouldering), play the drums and have a drink or two in town with friends during my free time.

Currently I am studying IBMS (International Business and Management Studies) at HVA University of Applied science and Business studies in Amsterdam...a study where they give you the opportunity to study and do your placement abroad. Which in both cases I have done; first I went a semester to Valencia in Spain and right after that I went to Sydney, Australia where I did my placement at a Marketing service company, stayed there a couple months longer then planned (not so hard if you’re living 10 min. walking from Bondi Beach..:) and after having done some backpacking in Thailand I went back home.

And now I am in my last semester doing my dissertation at Oracle and if everything goes as planned I will have my Bachelor's degree in February, really looking forward to it!

So what am I doing at Oracle? Well the problem statement for my dissertation is as follows: Create a marketing plan for “Exadata” that will help improve the sales process in the Benelux market.
A challenging and interesting problem statement! Specially since Exadata was the first product in the line of products from Oracle were Hardware and Software are engineered to work together, never heard of Exadata? No worries
here is a link to a 3min. video

Remember the first day at your new employer and being nervous and afraid of getting lost in the office? That's how we as a group of 10 new interns felt the first morning we arrived here..however Oracle did a great job by making us feel comfortable; we first started to introduce ourselves to each other with a fun game then we got a tour throughout the office building, a bag of Oracle goodies (including a map of the building..!) and last but not least our very own laptops and email addresses, so right on the first day we felt that we were part of Oracle...awesome!

Before I get carried on writing a (way too) long blog about Oracle and the people that work here, I will safe that for the next blog, so come back here in two weeks to continue reading this blog and the ones from my fellow interns!

2 comments:

  1. Great story. I'm very curious in the outcome of your plan. Keep on the good work!

    Greetings from an Oracle lover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Egbert. well my first experience with Oracle too made me feel am with the right people especially Oracle Day 2011 here in South Africa. though i have not started working as a dba but i got OCP and hoping to make something soon..
    Once again, all the best

    ReplyDelete